With the coming of NTA, NEET — the national level medical entrance examination and JEE — national level engineering entrance exam may be run twice a year to give an opportunity to the students to bring out their best performance. The Centre is setting up a National Testing Agency (NTA), an autonomous and self-sustained premier testing firm, to conduct the entry exams for the higher educational institutions.
The National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET) is held for admission to medical and dental colleges while Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) is conducted for admission to engineering colleges. Currently, both the exams along with several different exams are organized by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE).
10 things to know about National Testing Agency:
- The Finance Minister in the budget speech of 2017-18 had announced that a national body will be set up which will be responsible for conducting entrance examinations for higher education.
- The government has allocated a fund of Rs. 25 crores for NTA to begin operation in the first year. From its second year, the bureau will end up self-sustainable.
- Some of those exams which would be conducted by NTA will be JEE Main, NEET UG, UGC NET, CTET, etc..
- The tests will be conducted online and will probably be conducted twice annually. So far entrance exams like JEE Main or NEET UG have conducted only annually. The prospect of the entry exams twice a year will bring relief to students who often have to face undue pressure especially for examinations like JEE and NEET that are conducted immediately after the board examinations are over.
- The agency would be an autonomous body and will be chaired by an educationist who will be appointed by the MHRD.
- The agency will have a board of governors that will represent the member associations.
- NTA will be created as a society registered under the Indian Societies Registration Act, 1860.
- The bureau would appeal to about 40 lakh students who appear in various entrance exams.
- NTA will ensure that exams have a standardized difficulty level.
- It is also anticipated that setting up NTA will help prevent conflicts about varying levels of difficulty in various sets of question paper.
JEE Main, NEET might be run twice a year, most likely from 2019.The first and foremost advantage of NTA is the behavior of JEE Main and NEET examinations twice a year in an internet format. The twice a year version for primary entry examinations would help students to pace their studies and above all give them an additional opportunity to appear without squandering their entire year. The assessments are at present conducted in the months of April and May, which can be just after the board exams for class 12th. The two times a year may give students the opportunity to pace their preparations, which is bound to benefit students immensely.